Monday, December 29, 2014

The First Official Day of Vacation/Feeding Picky Kids

It's Monday, so it is the first official day of vacation. Instead of getting up at 6:00, shower, clothes, make up, breakfast, motivating the kids to get ready, leaving the house without any breakdowns, dropping the kids at school, going to work, flying through the chaos of the day, cleaning my room up, getting the kids around 5:00, getting dinner on the table (always a struggle), share our day with each other, argue with kids who can't sleep, maybe do some school work, fall asleep, repeat, I am sitting on the couch drinking coffee. I also left out throwing in random loads of laundry, emptying the dishwasher, making four lunches for most days. The weekend isn't much better. On Friday's I could go to bed at 7:00. The weekend is full of activities, church, and housework that could not get done during the week. I know we aren't alone in this crazy busy life. My point is I would like to try to enjoy this vacation week and try to take some time to relax so I will feel renewed when the craziness starts again next week.

So how did I enjoy the first official morning of vacation? My five year old friend was up at 6:55. Once I was awake there was no going back. He is the hungriest friend one could have. Yesterday he helped me make two dozen banana muffins http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Oat-Muffins/. I doubled the recipe, and they are good. I kept twelve for this week and froze twelve for quick breakfasts or last minutes snacks next week. After eating his muffin he was still quite hungry. I made us scrambled eggs. While I was making these my other friend woke up. Instead of adding another egg I just split it all between the three of us (frugal try) and it worked. It was only one egg a piece, but I think that is probably enough. Less than I usually would cook, but enough for breakfast.

Now I sit on the couch as the kids watch television in their matching pajamas. So cute! Last night I turned the turkey breast from Christmas into turkey soup. It was pretty successful with everyone except "she who is never quite happy with dinner". Such a good girl, but her Christmas dinner was pineapple, cranberry sauce, and a roll. I like such a wide variety of food that it is hard for me to empathize with her. My husband is much more particular, so he does feel for her a bit more than I do. Also, since I do the cooking I get sort of VERY ticked off at the constant complaints. We also had ham on Christmas day, so tonight's dinner is going to be some sort of repurposed ham with mashed potato pancakes. I have never made them, but I thought if I fried them crispy they may get eaten. I really don't think so, but I am going to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment