Monday, January 5, 2015

Back at work and crazy taco soup

We went back to work today. It actually feels good to get back into it. Getting there and teaching is much better than thinking about getting there and teaching. I tried a few new routines today that I hope will make the year continue smoothly. I felt a little bossy, but I think it is good to start the new year with some good structure and specific rules while continuing to be nurturing and supportive. It is a tough balance, but both are so important.

I have really been doing well with dinner. I made repurposed last week's taco meat into a cheesy enchilada casserole for Saturday, which was loved by everyone. Last night I put together my own version (whatever I had on hand) of spaghetti pie. I made mine in a deep square dish using frozen precooked ground beef and a jar of sauce. I also added the last of the shredded cheese and sour cream. This dish was also very popular. Tonight's dinner is a gamble. Simmering on the stove is Whatever I had Left Taco Soup. I know that soup is a great way to use up leftovers, and I was dying to try taco soup. However, I am the only one who likes beans. Here is how I created this crazy soup

About 2 cups preseasoned cooked ground beef from freezer (with onion and garlic)

About 2 cups of water

1 can diced tomatoes

1 bag frozen corn

3 ounces tomato paste

1 package onion soup mix (not something I buy often but I happened to have it on hand)

2 1/2 large tortillas sliced up

I threw the ground beef in a pot with a cup of water. Once the ground beef defrosted I added the tomatoes and corn. I added more water, the onion soup mix, and tomato paste. Once it simmered a bit I tossed the tortillas into the soup. It is on the stove. I used the rest of my shredded cheese and sour cream last night. I diced three cheese sticks to toss on top of it. I hope it goes over well enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment